As Google’s algorithms become more sophisticated, the SEO world is focusing on content creation. With the search engines now able to understand the context behind a search, keyword density is becoming less important and instead, good quality and engaging copy is emerging as a major ranking factor. In order to bolster the content surrounding your company, there are numerous options, from your initial website copy, to blogs and articles and of course press releases. Occasionally brushed aside as a “traditional” marketing tool, press releases can actually serve as one of the most powerful ranking assists. For your press release to achieve its full potential, be sure to follow the next 5 steps:
- Pick your topic wisely. Whilst your piece will be required to contain a news element, this does not have to be earth-shattering. If you find yourself struggling to find company news to announce, try commenting on current industry news. Using Google News can help you find topical issues that will be mostly likely to spark a reaction amongst your audience.
- Make it visually appealing. In order to attract readers to your piece in the first place it needs to be attractive. Breaking up your text with images makes it less daunting. Include your company logo to familiarise online users with it. With most modern press distribution sites, it is also possible to include videos.
- Optimise it. Press releases are content and as such should be optimised like any other part of your campaign. Integrate your search terms and use (but don’t overuse links). Press releases have the ability to rank at the top of the first page of Google News search results, for a limited time at least so take advantage of this by directing readers to your site. It is also worth thinking about varying where your links lead to. A mixture of home and deep pages is most desirable.
- Pick a punchy title. An effective marketing approach such as this doesn’t go unnoticed by your competitors, so in order to make yourself noticed make sure your heading is concise and to the point, preferably with your company name in.
- Finally, once you’ve created your press release and you’re confident it will inspire confidence in your readers, share it within your content. An especially useful way to update this method, sharing it within your social platforms will also make sure it gets seen by as many people as possible.
If you don’t feel you have the time or resources spare to carry out these five steps to the full, think about contacting an SEO agency with experience in this field.
SEO Positive is a digital marketing agency specialising in SEO, PPC and copywriting services.