Before October 2011, both paid and non-paid user had access to Google’s search analytic's, where user could find information about organic search queries, with the help of tools like Google Analytic's'', Web Trends Coremetrics, and Adobe Site Catalyst. This is no more the case.
As of October 18, Google announced the new privacy protection process relating to search queries. Now no marketer logged in to Google’s product will be able to have access to Google’s analytic products pertaining to search queries. However, Google will continue on serving analytic's information to the users of paid analytic's. A web marketing services provider, which has a paid account for any of the Google’s product will still have access to the information. The need is to find out the reasons for Google’s this update.
The Reasons for Encryption Update:
The users of any of Google’s products like, Google+, YouTube and Gmail see search results on the basis of their likes and dislikes, preferences, or in other words, their search results are personalized.
- The obvious reason for Google’s implementation of this update is to provide privacy to user.
- With this Privacy update, no third party will be able to get access to the personalized information of a user.
Impact on Search Marketing:
This search query privacy update will have various impacts on the search marketing in part, and on online marketing as a whole. An internet marketing services provider, needs to understand the possible influences of this update on the marketing process. A few major of them are given below:
On Referral Volume:
This update will have a definite impact on the referral volumes in web analytics. According to Google:
- Less than 10% of all the queries searched online, are done by users who are logged in to one of the Google’s products.
Now this can have an impact on the referral volume:
- Any keyword analysis report received from any of the Google’s analytic products will show a 5-10% deviation in the referral volume as of October 2011.
- After the launch of Google+, and awareness about personalized search, this level of search deviation is to increase in future. Hence, the more impact of this update on referral volume.
Google is implementing the privacy encryption process globally. Following steps can help you in understanding the impact of encryption globally:
- By analyzing the variation in queries of 2-3 weeks, you should benchmark top 25 organic searches.
- The organic searches must be finalized by keeping in view different geographies, as the personalization percentage varies from country to country.
- The objective should be to see whether there has been a decrease in the referential volume after the encryption update.
- If the referral volume is lower, then by analyzing the post and prior encryption update data, you can adjust query level volume upwards accordingly, for your global search marketing.
This encryption update will have affect on the synergy of organic and paid search analytics. Two types of actions are expected by advertisers, post the encryption update:
- Either they are going to get more traffic from their organic search efforts, then shown in reports.
- Or, the advertisers may decide to run a PPC marketing campaign for a keyword, without knowing the fact that, the only shortfall they are seeing in their traffic is because of the encryption process.
The Encryption process update has a direct influence on the search marketing process, a search marketing professional needs to understand how this update will influence the relation between organic and paid search, and how the negative impact of this update can be minimized and the positives maximized.