Websites are to the internet what software is to computers. The internet simply cannot function without websites, and with the increasing popularity and accessibility to the internet and its resources, websites are more important now than ever. As such, persons and businesses everywhere are building websites all over the world to give themselves and their businesses a formidable web presence. In fact, many businesses and personalities operate only in the realm of the World Wide Web and make their living from the same. Websites can be particularly useful in personal and business branding and increasing the sphere of one’s reach. Setting up a website is no longer something left to programmers, but is now something almost anyone with an internet connection and computer can do. There are many webhosts now offering website building tools and hosting and are geared towards new users who have no programming experience. Many of these webhosts have both paid and free website hosting services that can be taken advantage of by persons wishing to set up a website and give themselves much needed web presence. With all these available options, there are just a few easy steps the average user can to take in order to get their websites up and running in no time.
- An Internet Connection
- To begin setting up a website, one must first establish a purpose for the same. Is the purpose of one’s website to promote one’s business, is it a personal website to promote lifestyles and or hobbies, or is the website itself the business in question that is an online operating business. The purpose of one’s website will determine the kind of website to set up and subsequently the kind of webhost to use.
- After deciding the exact purpose of your website, it is time to get researching different webhosts so as to compare which webhosts are offering the services and price package best suited to one’s needs. This is important as one package may be best suited to a personal website as opposed to a business website. If a person’s website will be selling merchandise for example, it may be particularly useful to opt for a hosting option that offers a web store and shopping cart for example.
- Now that the best suited webhost has been chosen, it is not time to set up the web account. At this point, persons will select the “Sign Up” or “Join” option as prompted by the webhost. Here, one will enter required information such as, name, age, purpose of website, select a category for the website, choose a website address and the like. Be sure to choose a website address that is easy to remember and relevant to both the website and the audience one is trying to reach. Persons may be prompted to choose a template (the design one would like the website to have) as well as features for the website. These features such as a blog, forum, image gallery and the like will help to make one’s website interactive and enjoyable.
- After choosing preferred features, templates and entering relevant account information including passwords, persons can now log into the website for the first time to begin entering content to the site. The drag and click WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) features made available by most webhosts now will make this process a particularly easy one as no programming knowledge is necessary.
TIPS AND WARNINGS
- Blogs are very popular on the World Wide Web these days and many businesses use the blog format or features to promote businesses and personal agendas (including hobbies). Blogs help to create a community out of the website as persons can comment on the content entered and information. Additionally, content is properly stored and can be accessed by users even years after they have been posted to the blog. This is a wonderful option for those hoping to have content driven websites that will need a catalogue of stored information.
- Some of the most popular free website options include weebly.com and webs.com while popular blogs include Google's blogger.com, wordpress.com, onsugar.com and blog.com among many others. A web search will aid users in finding an option best suited to them.