Using press releases as a part of a search engine optimization campaign can really pay off. There are several benefits of using this technique to increase traffic but knowing how to write a great press release is a must if you are going to use this route. This type of writing is not like blogging; you need to be prepared to write like a journalist rather than the more casual approach that can be adopted for the blog on your website.
Top Tips for Producing Powerful Press Releases
If you are looking to create your own press releases these tips should help you to stay on track.
- Forget about opinions – Opinions can be fantastic in the right type of blog but they have no place in press releases. Stay objective and don’t lie, only add content that is true and honest as your piece needs to be newsworthy.
- Stick to the facts – This tip ties in with honesty, provide facts not fiction. If you are using statistics and figures in your piece make sure they are correct and can be backed up somewhere. Don’t be afraid to say where you found the information in your piece if you have not carried out the research within your own company.
- Avoid boring your readers- You don’t need to add impressive words or niche jargon to impress. Your piece should be written for all of your audience, those in the know and those who are trying to find out more about the subject. Stick to simple wording that will not put anyone off reading to the end. You shouldn’t see this as dumbing down, just keeping things simple.
- Add dates and locations – Press releases often contain time relevant information and so it is good practice to include the date of your news and your location. In years to come someone may come across your press release and not realise the information is old without this basic information being included.
- Include information about your company- Unlike some articles used for marketing it is perfectly acceptable and expected for you to include information about your business and your services, albeit objectively. You need to make this information fit in comfortably with the content so it flows, rather than simply adding it on to the end.
- Direct approach is best- There is no need to beat around the bush; press releases need to be straight to the point. Produce a high quality piece that gives the reader the news they are looking for quickly so they do not leave the press release half read. Shorter press releases work best so don’t feel like you need to write thousands as you are probably going to be wasting your time.
- Spellings and grammar do make a difference- You are writing to a large audience and the information will not be taken seriously if you have spelling mistakes or grammatical errors throughout the piece. Ask for someone to look over your content for you after you have edited it yourself, a second pair of eyes often picks up problems that have been missed.
A Press Release for your Audience
A well written press release will give you a great opportunity to spread news of your company to a wider audience. This can be used as a way of building back links that are useful for the optimization of your website too. Combine regular blog posts with press releases and submit them to news sites that concentrate on your niche area as well as online newspapers and specialist sites. Remember to write blogs in a more casual tone and stick to a formal and direct approach with your press releases.
Help optimize your website using a variety of writing strategies. Use copywriting skills to produce the best press releases for your company.